Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Jeweltastic: June Pearls

Almost twenty years ago, I purchased my very first piece of expensive jewelry.  It was 10K gold with 14K gold floral inlay.  I wanted a pearl as my stone but it wasn't something they offered.  I was, however, able to get mother of pearl.

I placed this ring on my finger and it was like magic.  It symbolized the month I was born, the month I would graduate high school, and my independence.  It was the first real purchase I ever made on my own without help from my family.  Even today, it's beauty surpasses my wedding ring.
 
What is the appeal that a pearl has?  It doesn't come in to existence like other stones.  Most stones happen through thousands and thousands of years of pressure.   A pearl is created from an under water creature either an oyster or mussels.  When something gets inside the shell like sand or a pebble something called nacre is placed on the object to protect the soft surface of the mussel, this is the substance you will find in a ring or piece of jewelry with mother of pearl as well.  It takes about eight years to form one pearl.

Pearl is the stone that represents those of us who have the zodiac signs of Gemini and Cancer.  Pearls are given on the first, third, twelfth,  and thirtieth wedding anniversaries.

Pearls were used in China for well over 5,000 years.  They have been exclusive to those of noble birth.  The Grecian s considered them as a symbol of love and marriage. Perhaps that's why we see so many brides to be making a peal purchase for her day.  Even I have pearl earrings and a necklace that I wore on my day.

The pearl is a wonderful and beautiful thing.  There is nothing quite like a pearl regardless if one is cultured (humans intervened) or natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Jeweltastic! Please feel free to look around.

Spamming is strictly prohibited. I delete anything that isn't related to this post or is completely irrelevant.


Get a button!